Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A childhood lesson...

A brief glimpse walk down the memory lane made me recall this one sentence which was a constant companion through my school days. Hours were spent in the evenings, trying to write this sentence multiple times in cursive hand -

"A quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog".

I was always amazed by the fact that this simple sentence contains all the alphabets in the english language which made it a pangram !

I used to still wonder how many of these are around...

And then a simple google search on a lazy morning yielded a huge list of pangrams none of which seem as elegant as this one simple sentence...

Here is a partial list that i came across.... Wonder if you have any ?

  • Nymphs blitz quick vex dwarf jog. (27 letters)
  • Big fjords vex quick waltz nymph. (27 letters)
  • Bawds jog, flick quartz, vex nymph. (27 letters)
  • Bawds jog, flick quartz, vex nymphs. (28 letters)
  • Waltz, bad nymph, for quick jigs vex! (28 letters)
  • Fox nymphs grab quick-jived waltz. (28 letters)
  • Glib jocks quiz nymph to vex dwarf. (28 letters)
  • Bright vixens jump; dozy fowl quack. (29 letters)
  • Vexed nymphs go for quick waltz job. (29 letters)
  • Jack fox bids ivy-strewn phlegm quiz (30 letters)
  • How quickly daft jumping zebras vex. (30 letters)
  • Two driven jocks help fax my big quiz. (30 letters)
  • "Now fax quiz Jack!" my brave ghost pled. (30 letters)
  • Vamp fox held quartz duck just by wing. (31 letters)
  • Five quacking zephyrs jolt my wax bed. (31 letters
  • The five boxing wizards jump quickly. (31 letters)
  • Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz. (31 letters)
  • Kvetching, flummoxed by job, W.zaps Iraq. (32 letters)
  • My ex pub quiz crwd gave joyful thanks. (32 letters)
  • Few quips galvanized the mock jury box. (32 letters)
  • The jay, pig, fox, zebra, and my wolves quack! (33 letters)
  • Quizzical twins proved my hijack-bug fix. (34 letters)
  • The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. (35 letters) (Used to test typewriters and computer keyboards, and as sample text; famous for its coherency, dating back to 1888)
  • Wolf zombies spot the jinxed grave. (36 letters)
  • Heavy boxes perform quick waltzes and jigs. (36 letters)
  • A quick chop jolted my big sexy frozen wives. (36 letters)
  • A wizard’s job is to vex chumps quickly in fog. (36 letters)
  • Sympathizing would fix Quaker objectives. (36 letters)
  • Pack my red box with five dozen quality jugs. (36 letters)
  • Fake bugs put in wax jonquils drive him crazy. (37 letters)
  • Woven silk pyjamas exchanged for blue quartz. (38 letters)
  • Brawny gods just flocked up to quiz and vex him. (38 letters)
  • My faxed joke won a pager in the cable TV quiz show. (39 letters)
  • The quick onyx goblin jumps over the lazy dwarf. (39 letters)

4 comments:

  1. Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that one Abhiram... Came across that during my google search... You knew that from before ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I knew that one. Funnily enough, I was searching for collective nouns one day and stumbled upon this.

    Sorry to digress, but did you know that there are collective nouns for almost everything? For example, "a whisper of cats", "a murder of crows", etc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks for that... definitely didn't know of so many collective nouns... Will check them out... Wow... a whisper of cats... quite unusual... !!!

    ReplyDelete