Saturday, July 28, 2012

Back from the break !!!

It's been a long time since I've posted anything here and there are many reasons ranging from busy-ness to lazy-ness - I am sure you know the drill. :)

Anyway, the Olympics and the media hype on a variety of subjects have nudged me back into action. In fact, there are quite a few things which are on my "write about" list. I keep that list mainly because every now and then some really controversial topic would come up and I would have a few cents to add just to clarify my stance to the few people who care to ask. The trouble is most people expect a simple yes or no answer for some very complicated question. Or perhaps it's just me for I am rarely able to give a simple answer these days. Damn ! Things are so complicated. And then people are more complicated and their preferences and actions are influenced by this whole gamut of factors : society, parents, experiences, education, temperament, genetics, upbringing, gender, country, socio-economic back ground, and a whole lot more ! Oh buoy !!

a lot of things have occupied my mind in the past few months including a wonderful trip to Leh which has prompted me to start a travel blog. I am sure you think - one more ?? Seriously ? I know, i thought the same but then there are these diverse aspects of me, which I want to cherish for the future. For those rainy days, when i am lost and looking for myself. 

Here are some of the questions/ topics/issues/ subjects that are hounding me for now.... And i am hoping that i will write about them soon enough. Hopefully before i forget, what i have to say about them.

- Should science aid in improving athletic performance in the Olympics ? Should synthetic supplements be allowed ? 

- Is SMJ (or Satyamev Jayate - a popular Indian show hosted by the actor Aamir Khan where he raises social issues which are prevalent in India) a token attempt aimed at publicity or is is a genuine effort which is mired in corporate and media ethics and unable to address all issues as they should be?  

- There have also been my brash thoughts on Indians adapting to the US and their amazing make overs.

My ramblings about people who want to 'meet up', 'hang out', 'chill out', 'catch up' and plan with no intention of doing so. There have been a few new scientific papers too which have teased my curiosity and I would love to talk about them here. I have also attended a seminar or two that have introduced me to some new and really fascinating ideas in science. The most interesting being on bipedalism and their origins and on the genetics of human culture. Teased ? I bet you are. I sure was salivating to attend these seminars to find the geeky me who loved detailed answers that raised more questions. It is always fascinating to study our origins, cultures and social perspectives under the lens of science and history. Isn't it ?

I hope i have given you enough of a teaser to come back in a few days to check the blog and I hope that I would have resumed my writing and escaped from the throes of procrastination and inaction. 
Do leave in your ideas wherever you can - whether you agree or disagree, whether you like or dislike, whatever it is ! I say this because in the era of facebook "likes", a lot of meaningful discussion is getting lost. People seem to 'like' something and never say something more.  Almost always leaves me wondering - "do you agree with everything ?", "what do you think of that question in the end?", "would you do it the same way?", "Isnt there a better way ?" etc etc. 





No comments:

Post a Comment